In 2012, UONGOZI Institute launched the Green Growth Platform (GGP) to create space for the Government, private sector and civil society to debate and work together to accelerate green development in Tanzania. The Platform aims to build capacity to promote economic growth that is environmentally sustainable and socially inclusive; adapt socio-economic activities to environmental change; and participate effectively in the global governance.
This year, the Platform is organised under the theme, “Promoting Forest Management for Sustainable Water Resource in Tanzania”. The general objective to deliberate on how forest and water resources can be managed more sustainably. Specifically, it aims to address the following:
- To what extent are the regulatory frameworks adequate in managing forest and water resources in Tanzania?
- What factors contribute to increasing the degradation of forest and water resources in the country? How can such factors be controlled?
- Given the current pace of population growth in Tanzania, what capacities are required for an effective management and utilization of the forest and water resources in Tanzania?
- Are there realistically implementable practices that can be adopted to manage and utilize the forest and water resources in the country?
- What opportunities and challenges are there in managing forest and water resources in the country?
The event will take place on 13th and 14th June, 2019, in Dodoma, Tanzania. On day one, there will be an official opening by Her Excellency Samia Suluhu Hassan, Vice President of the United Republic of Tanzania, followed by key note presentations and discussion. On day two, participants will visit Chenene Forest to learn in practice how forest and catchment areas can be managed for sustainable water resource in Tanzania.